Thursday, February 28, 2008
I learned the hard way that sometimes saving money is not the best idea in the world.
... in some occasions.
I love my Kiehl's lipbalm. What I don't love is the price. $8.90 for a tube? But I guess the MAC Lip Conditioning one costs more. But see, there's this thing called Chapstick that can be purchased at Target for a dollar each. I stopped using Chapstick for the reason that I thought I might be allergic to it. So then now I gave it a try again (cuz it's so cheap!), thinking that maybe it was something I ate, the weather, or the gloss I was using at the time that gave me the reaction.
... but I was wrong. It was the Chapstick!!!! It's confirmed after a SECOND trial. After two days of using it, my lips started puffing up, dryness and tiny bumps around my lips, very itchy, and at times stings and burns, and some redness. The horror! It is bugging the shit out of me. I looked at the ingredients, and I guess I'm allergic to something that's in it cuz most of the stuff on Chapstick is not in my Kiehl's lipbalm. And Chapstick was the only thing new I'm using. Now I know to be more careful with what I use on my lips that makes me check what's in it first before using it. But seriously, allergic to Chapstick?? ARGH!!
Obviously, I returned the Chapstick back. Because after two days of using it clearly does not do me any good but more bad. I should have stopped when I already felt the weird feeling after applying it the first time. It's getting a bit better now that I stopped using it. But I had a strong belief that maybe I was overreacting on being allergic to Chapstick. But clearly I am allergic to it or something in it. My safe balms for now are Vaseline and Kiehls. So I'll probably go back to Vaseline because it's more practical and cheaper compared to the latter. I really can't be switching balms, or just using anything because this might happen again. Another incident was when I used the Aveeno lip balm too. The healing phase or just getting a reaction from it is not all that fun. I guess my reaction is not that bad compared to what I have read where people's lips actually starts to bleed or the reaction is super obvious. GAHHH, I would die!!!
And now, I sit and wait until everything gets better. I should stop by Target again and maybe pick up some Vaseline to speed up the healing process or at least soothe the itching. This sucks!
Anyone else had this problem or reaction before?
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
- Wash face with Philosophy Purity cleanser with WARM water to clean and rinsing it off with COLD water to close the pores. I cannot stop raving about this cleanser. It removes makeup and cleanses your face. This has definitely helped me with my previous acne problems with continuous usage. My skin has gotten a lot better after using this product!!
- Using a cotton pad, apply Nivea Visage Moisturizing Toner to refresh and moisten my skin. This is my HG toner. I've used Neutrogena in the past, both Alcohol-Free and the Pore Minimizing toner, and even the Mario Badescu Cucumber lotion after reading MUA reviews. But nothing tops Nivea! It's really gentle on my skin, and it doesn't sting when applied to your face unlike the previous toners mentioned. Nivea toner really freshens up your face and also help moisturize because it has chamomile and aloe in it. Also it's alcohol-free!!! No stingy feeling.
- Depending on my mood, I use my Philosophy When Hope is Not Enough face serum. Let it dry for a few minutes, I just really pretty much use this because it was in the kit. But I did definitely saw improvements after using this. Also improved the condition of my skin and shrunk my pores.
- then, apply Philosophy Hope in a Tube eye firming cream under my eyes.
- Moisturize with Philosophy Hope in a Jar. It does the job. I'm not sure if it's my HG moisturizer, but for sure I know it doesn't break me out, so that's all that matters. However, it really keeps my face moisturized since I tend to be dry on certain areas on my face.
- Apply sunscreen. I use Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion for Face and Body. This moisturizer is a lot thinner than its cream counter part which is pretty thick. I love this sunscreen. It's very light and it dries on quickly. Only problem with it is the price. $40 a pop for a bottle of this sunscreen. It's all worth it for me though.
- Then I take my blow dryer, set it on high, COLD setting to dry my moisturizer. This will allow your moisturizer set in faster, and I've also read that this helps in the long run in looking younger :]
- If I'm not in a hurry, I buff my foundation on. I use Everyday Minerals in Buttered Tan in Semi-Matte. Love this foundation. You can barely tell I have anything on my face. Definitely not cakey and it gives me an even looking skin.
- Clean face with warm water and Purity Cleanser. Rinse with cold water to close pores
- Using a cotton pad, apply Nivea Visage Moisturizing Toner.
- Apply Ly-Na Pearl Face Cream. This is my nighttime cream. Since I couldn't find Top-Gel anywhere in the Asian markets here in the valley, I had to settle for this one instead. Packaging is probably worse than the Top-Gel, and it still has that old lady smell (but it's tolerable), but it has really lighten the dark acne scarring that ScarZone didn't some how lighten after it stopped working on me. It definitely evened out my skintone too. I would say the pearl cream I got is better since I never experience any drying or peeling on my face. However, the cream is not creamy in texture and I kinda have to dilute it a little by adding a drop of toner with it, so it wouldn't apply too thickly on my face. I only use it at night since it leaves a white cast on your face. I've been using this product for two weeks now, every night.
Mask: I use Milk of Magnesia. Yes, the laxative. It has really helped controlling the oil on my face, helped with shrinking my pores, and minimized my acne breakouts . I leave it on for about 20 minutes after washing my face, and then rinse.
Exfoliant: Honey and sugar mixture (1:4 ratio). Well, I just pretty much estimate, but you definitely do not want too much sugar in the mix because it will become too harsh on your skin. I let the mixture sit on my face for awhile as a mask before I actually exfoliate my skin. However, I make sure that I wet my hands first, and in circular motions rub my face with my fingers gently. Since it's a bit watered, it'll make the honey less sticky which makes it easier to rub your face genlty. I use this instead of the popular aspirin mask because it's less drying on my face, yet it still does the job. My skin is glowy and smooth after.
Eye Makeup Remover: Lancome Bi-Facil. I only use this when I lined my waterline with pencil and my Purity cleanser didn't quite get it out.
So there you have it. That's how I take care of my skin for those who asked. Remember, it's important to stay consistent and following your own routine religiously however you do it. It won't work if you keep slacking off every other day by sleeping with your makeup on! Big NO NO. But I'm sure ya'll know that by now :]
Friday, February 22, 2008
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Round 2: Estee Lauder Projectionist
And my take on it:
Maybelline: My lashes are pretty long to begin with but without mascara, it's not really that noticeable. The Maybelline mascara only defines my lashes (hence the name), and doesn't give it much volume compared to my Estee mascara. Maybelline gives that natural looking lashes minus the clumping. However, Maybelline mascara does not hold the curl at all. It just goes flat after awhile. What I like about it though is it separates my lashes without the clumping. It might be because of the wand applicator not your traditional one. For me this is ok for everyday use since I usually opt for a more natural looking lashes. I'll probably get more volume if I keep coating my lashes. However, the Maybelline mascara kinda reminded me of my old Fresh mascara that I really loved. It gave me natural looking, long lashes, and it curls your lashes even WITHOUT curling it before hand. Only drawback about the mascara was the price... $25. Would I purchase Maybelline Define-A-Lash again? No. Thank God for buy one get one free. This was the freebie. I would still use it only because it does a some what ok job and it's ok for my everyday wear. (The mascara is not waterproof.)
Estee: Estee mascara already lengthens and volumizes your lashes after one coat. However, more than two coats of it will my your lashes look really clumpy. It doesn't hold the curl too well, but it holds it better compared to the Maybelline. The only reason I've been using this mascara was because it was free. heehee. Probably would not purchase the full size though. (The mascara is not waterproof.)
In conclusion: I'm still in the search of my HG mascara with a pretty decent price. So I'll prolly test another on in three months when it's time for the Maybelline mascara to go. I still love my Fresh mascara... but I'm really just not willing to shell out $25 for it. Hopefully the pictures and my two cents on it helped a bit whether your the Maybelline or the Estee is worth purchasing.
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Upcoming posts (in no particular order):
- My skin regimen
- 2/18/08 CVS and Sally's Haul
- product reviews (Maybelline Mineral Power in Translucent, Maybelline Define-A-Lash, Pearl Cream)
- Feel free to send any requests: firstname.lastname@example.org
I wish a day consists more than 24 hours.
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Upclose look on Fafi Iridescent Powder compact. Do you see the smudges???
I'm still contemplating if I should keep it or return it. I actually like it though cuz it gives me that nice and noticeable glow, until I read the box which changed my mind. It has Bismuth Oxychloride!!! Bismuth Oxychloride is also found in Bare Escentuals which has made me breakout in the past. I'm actually paranoid since I've gone a long way in getting my skin in a better condition. It seriously took A LOT of work and time. But for some reason I still want to keep it cuz it's so cute on my cheeks! But then again, what good does it do when my acne starts flaring up again? I don't know, so confused!!!!
I'll probably end up exchanging it tomorrow. I guess I can always highlight with my Your Ladyship pigment.And, I also got the 129SH Blush brush for no reason. I don't know if I should keep that too since I don't really do touch ups. But I have the feeling I need it??? I was just playing with it and it's sooo soft! BUUUT, the brush bristle size is not as dense as the full-size. DO I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY NEED IT????
So what do you guys think?
p.s. I've also posted a comment for those who posted a comment on my previous post and haven't checked yet. Sorry if I typed a long response!!!
Friday, February 01, 2008
On a side note... I love how my skin looks like in pictures now. I really cleared up on my cheeks!! Geez louise, I thought I won't be able to get rid of my acne anymore. But thanks to a strict daily skin regimen and watching what I put on my face... it has improved!! I still have some scarring but they're almost gone though. Weee!
Ugggggggggh!!! Mind you, this was WITH powder on, but no concealer. Nasty scarring on the left cheek (your right). On the previous picture, I just have EDM on, no concealer too. Anyway, I was so annoyed with my cheeks because I got those pimples after using BE and it would NOT go away. I seriously wanted to rip my face off. hahaha. It was weird cuz my cheeks were the most unlikely place I would get pimples, and the only new thing I was using at the time of my crazy breakout session was BE. I wouldn't even touch or pick on them like other people would do, yet it left a scar. And, I'll always get pimples on or RIGHT next to where I just had it. Now it's barely there! You should've seen it back in summer... HORRIBLE! By the way scarzone works!
Yea I know... I have a big, cheesy smile. Just looking at the picture made me realized how my eye makeup REALLY sucked that night. heehee
Since we're on the topic of before and after pictures, here are a few more.
My senior portrait. Yep, I once had long hair. I want it back at least that long but I keep cutting it! But yea, I had the typical asian hair with the highlights and stuff.
And my favorite....
LMAO. I was 10 years old (I think), in this picture. OK seriously, braces is not even an option here (ok you guys can stop laughing now). Argh.. now I'm back on it again since I never wore my retainers. But as much as I hate braces, I'm forever grateful for it. haha.